How we work
It is paramount to us that our work is of the highest quality. Not only does this create a safer structure or tree house, but also one that you will be proud to own.
1. Free Initial site survey: we will visit your garden or play area to carry out an initial survey and establish what your needs and specifications are. At this point we evaluate any safety issues, site suitability and discuss various design concepts. We will carry this out free of charge.
2. Design and plan: Squirrel Design structures are as individual as the trees or outdoor spaces they are built in or around. We take a lot of care over the design stage, and present our proposal to you as an artist’s impression of what your finished tree house or structure will look like. In addition we also produce CAD plan drawings for layout and dimensions, and elevations where necessary. At this stage we provide you with a detailed cost estimate for the build. The fee for this design service starts from £300 depending on the scale of the project, but which is refunded off your final balance should you go ahead with the project. Should the project be a larger scale commercial scheme, the specific fees for this would be discussed and agreed prior to the work commencing.
3. Planning Permission: Where planning permission is to be applied for, and once the final design is agreed upon, we then create the required detail drawings and elevations. We also put together the relevant design, method and access statements as appropriate. We charge a fee from £150 for this service.
There are then 3 routes to processing the application:
- Client does this themselves
- Client uses the services of their architect / planning consultant
- We use the services of our preferred planning consultant, which will incur a fee from around £450, for which we would quote before the work commences.
4. Booking: once the details of the proposal are fully agreed we set a start date for the build. This is secured with a 40% deposit, and a schedule of work is then agreed. We pride ourselves on our commitment to start your project on the date agreed.
5. The Build: we only use selected, high quality materials, sourced from specialist suppliers. All timber is treated for external durability and, with the correct yearly maintenance, will provide years of fun and entertainment. Site safety is paramount, and during the build we cordon - off the area from over-eager spectators! We can boast a 100% reliability record – we start and finish a project when we say we are going to start and finish. The balance is due on completion.
6. Flexibility: We are constantly assessing a project as we work through the build, and believe in a flexible approach. Should you decide to add options to the project as we go along, this is seamlessly added into the build.
We can assure you that all materials used are sourced from specialist suppliers and are rigorously checked before being used on any project. Our timber is treated for external durability which, along with the superior workmanship, ensures that your structure will last for many years to come: We offer a personal maintenance contract for new and existing structures since we advise maintenance checks at least every other year and that the timber is treated with an appropriate care product annually.
We firmly believe that to offer a truly bespoke service, the level of service and project management must match the quality of the actual build: we pride ourselves on our commitment to our customers, on our attention to time keeping - we can boast a 100% success rate in both starting and finishing projects on time – every project should be as positive an experience as possible.
Health & Safety
It is obviously of huge importance to you that our structures are safe to use and play on. Safety regulations are always taken into account when designing our structures. We take great care in engineering buildings that are appropriate for their purpose and relevant to the age of the users. However, one has to remember that as human nature has it, children are inquisitive and adventurous – as they should be encouraged to be: teenagers can feel invincible and adults are often in denial as to the passing of time!
So we always incorporate different levels of challenge into our structures. For instance by building a second, more easily climbed access route to the tree house as well as a rope ladder. We never build opening windows above a drop, and all our windows are made with safe and strong polycarbonate, rather than glass.
It goes without saying that at Squirrel Design we hold the environment and the outdoors in utter respect. All of our timber is sourced from sustainable, managed woodland sources. We are passionate about creating the opportunities to make more of your surrounding landscape. By creating your own special space in your own environment, you can encourage an everlasting - and more creative - enjoyment of your surroundings.
To request a brochure or speak to our dedicated team call 0117 3258325 or write to us via our contact us page.